For some instances, it is really helpful to have a local bank account. For example, you cannot get a contract with a mobile phone provider without one.
There are basically no great fundamental differences for students. Among the most popular Spanish banks are: Banco Sabadell, Santander, La Caixa, Catalunya Caixa, BBVA and ING.
Here are the list of the most common requirements you need to comply with in order to open an account:
- Applicants must be aged 18 or over.
- Photographic proof of identity (passport or National Identity Card from the country of origin for each of the applicants).
- Proof of occupation or status (employment contract/payslip, letter from accountant/lawyer, pension or disability payment confirmation, student card).
- Residents also need to produce their Foreigner Identification Number and certificate (Número de Identidad de Extranjero or NIE).
- Confirmation of address (utility bill, driver’s licence or council tax bill; proof of address must have been issued within the last 3 months).